Spring ForwardJules Hirst
Although losing an hour of sleep may not be welcomed, a 1976 study conducted by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) found that by springing forward we actually save 1% on energy costs. The National Bureau of Standards reviewed the DOT study and found no significant savings. In the end does it matter? We still have to set our clocks an hour ahead before we go to bed if we want to be on time today.
Is Spring Cleaning in your future?
It's that time of year again where we clean our homes from top to bottom, which traditionally occurs on the first warm days of the year — typically spring. I don't know about you, but I barely have time to do light cleaning let alone cleaning my home from top to bottom. So I asked my good friend, Veronica Corona, CEO of CM Cleaning Solutions, Inc, for advice on cleaning when you have a tight schedule.
- Pace yourself: Most homes will not be cleaned in one afternoon. A truly deep clean will take 2-6 hours per area.
- Make it fun and memorable: Fun, upbeat music and a healthy dose of utter silliness go a long way to keeping you energized and on task. To engage kids, try decorating broom handles with streamers, don special party hats, use funny voices, or tell silly stories as you work. Or throw a cleaning party with a special meal to celebrate when you're done. Don't forget to open windows and doors if the weather is nice. You'll not only air your home out, but you'll also increase your own fresh air intake, which will increase your energy and mood.
- Create your own checklist: (or you can download this one) The best way to do this is to break down your areas to clean into sections (master bedroom, bathroom, closet, kitchen, pantry, etc). Then break down each section into individual tasks that need accomplishing in each room (dust fans, clean windows, wash sheets, etc). Once you have a checklist, estimate how much time it will take you to accomplish each task. Then as you work on each task, write down the actual time it took you to finish the task. This will help you to estimate the same tasks in other rooms and adjust your schedule accordingly.
CM Cleaning Solutions, Inc. provides janitorial services for commercial and medical office buildings and retail centers in the counties of Los Angeles, Orange and the Inland Empire. You can reach them at 310- 933-1735.
Here are a few things you should also do….
1. Check and replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
2. Go through your disaster supply kit. Make sure you have plenty of food, water, batteries and blankets. If you don't have a disaster supply kit, now is the perfect time to start one.
3. Check and discard expired medications.
Don't get too use to Daylight Savings Time, we fall back on November 3, 2013.
Etiquette Consulting Inc
You have less than 30 seconds to create a first impression… what does yours say about you?